This blog will be following my San Francisco Expedition with National Geographic and the Smithsonian
Institute. It will also follow my own work on my senior research project for LSSU.

Monday, April 8, 2013

Day 7: Marin Headlands and Nature Bridge

Last night was fairly leisurely compared to the last few nights. It was nice being able to have a night to myself again. Again, it was a nice morning. I was able to wake up at my own pace and wasn't feeling rushed at all. Had to pack up for the last time which was a little sad. But, the breakfast at La Boulange (five pounds gained thanks to that stupid bakery). Come to find out the bakery was bought by Starbucks not too long ago. Honestly, not too surprised by that.

After another breakfast of an orange cinnamon morning bun, we loaded up the vehicles and drove out to the Marin Headlands which is located on the other side of the Golden Gate Bridge. Still laugh at all the hype about it. Doesn't even compare to the Mighty Mac. Even though our next site wasn't too far over the bridge, it still took almost 20 minutes to go five miles thanks to construction and a five minute wait for a one lane tunnel into the National Park.

We were met at the site by Ann of NatureBridge who informed us as to the itinerary for the day. We would be visited by groups of about 16 Fifth Graders every hour for about half the day. All that really needs to be said about that is it was intense. The kids were great though. They were very eager to learn and get their hands dirty. I couldn't believe how knowledgeable some of these kids were!

We had the kids find sites that they thought had the most biodiversity. They chose some excellent sites and their rationale was spot on. We all had a great laugh at some of the antics of a few of the kids. It was a great experience for me and the kids. I really want to start a program like theirs here in Michigan.

After our last group of children we were taken on a small tour of the NatureBridge campus. The campus was created from the remnants of an old Army base in that location. We then set up our equipment in the student laboratory space. That was the final part of my role in the expedition, which was difficult since I was finally in my element and the rest of the team were looking to me for identifications, ideas, and information. We said some simple goodbyes and that was it.

Since I had a few hours before I needed to catch my flight, I decided to stop and grab a bite to eat. I headed toward the airport, but I made a pit stop in Japan Town. I really wanted some good Japanese cuisine before returning home. I was gone for about half an hour and when I returned to my vehicle I found that someone had broken into it and stolen my backpack and camera bag. I immediately called the SFPD and reported the theft. It was a disheartening end to the otherwise fantastic expedition. That was the reason behind the delays in posting. I will be posting some pictures of my last day (thankfully, I uploaded them on to David's computer before leaving) as soon as I receive them.

No comments:

Post a Comment