This blog will be following my San Francisco Expedition with National Geographic and the Smithsonian
Institute. It will also follow my own work on my senior research project for LSSU.

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Day 2: Site Selection

Breakfast has been said to be the most important meal of the day. Down the street from my accommodations there is an amazing bakery called La Boulange. So far, each morning I have been going there and buying an orange cinnamon roll. It is absolutely delicious. I am going to have to stock up when we leave for our other location tomorrow night.

We spent our time this morning working on preparing materials to perform our experiments during the rest of my time here. Our major concern comes with securing the cube along with our time lapse camera in the intertidal area. The wave action as the tide comes in has the potential of completely destroying our cube. Also, if our camera moves in the minutest of increments it will completely ruin our series of time lapse photos. The importance of anchoring our equipment is paramount and required quite a lot of thought process taking up the majority of the morning.

After lunch, we visited our second location and scouted suitable sites. We trekked down a few paths and found a handful of sites that meet the requirements for our survey. Tomorrow we will be looking at the intertidal location and doing the same. It has been extremely insightful understanding the intense process that goes into performing a study like this. These types of studies don't just materialize and it is not a process of "oh, I think I will go do this today." It takes some serious planning, research, and site visits. When I go to do my study this summer I will need to perform the same system of planning to choose location areas that will be suitable and representative of the surrounding ecosystems.

An incredible amount of knowledge gained today.

No comments:

Post a Comment